Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sign Language

I had a pretty laid-back weekend. Not too much to report on, but today it was sunny so I spent a few hours walking the streets, taking pics. I don't have all that much to say, so I thought today I would present a little photo essay.

I took pictures of a bunch of different signs. I am surrounded by signs I can't read and I thought I would try to capture a few. Some of these are city-sanctioned signs and some of them are just hung up. I am used to these and they look normal to me, but I have a feeling some of them may look a little weird to you..









This bottom one needs a little translating and then you will understand why it is one of my favorite signs in Seoul. This is a sign for the butcher that is close to my house. It is owned by a middle-aged man and his wife. They are always nice to me and help me out with my meat needs. He learned very early on that unlike the rest of the population, I like my chickens whole so I can beer-can them, not cut up into 20 pieces like everybody else. I literally jumped behind the counter and grabbed his knife the first time I was there, preventing him from mangling my bird.

So I went there for a few months and then, as I learned to read Korean I could sound out the name of the store but didn't really know what it meant. Inside the pink area are the words "Chuke-san Sarang." I knew that "Sarang" was love, and recently I found out that "Chuke-san" loosely translates to livestock or farm animals. So the name of the butcher is "livestock love," or as I like refer to it, "bestiality meats." Brilliant name for a butcher.

I took some pictures of some random graffiti as well. I like the fact that both of these are international vandalism (see the little "call me" with a heart?)





Elsewhere around I took some pictures of fishy. This town always smells of fish and there is a reason: there's a lot of fish in this city. These dried fish are hanging everywhere and they kind of creep me out.





Don't those sting rays look yummy?


And finally, here are just a couple more random shots of Seoul through my camera lens.













Much love from Seoul

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home