Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Happy Birthday J-Dog

Well, Christmas is a few short minutes away from moving into December 26th, and I thought it may be time to give a recap of my Holidays.

Christmas Eve brought with it a trip to the Brazilian restaurant in Apgujong (CEIA.) It was delicious as always and everyone was in good spirits. There were only five of us, but we were five jolly people and it was a nice Christmas dinner. The food there is insanely good - different from anything in Kansas and (more importantly) anything in Korea. They bring around a variety of beef, pork, lamb, chicken, potatoes, rolls and pineapple. The meal was exquisite, and despite the fact that our waitress spilled half a bottle of cabernet on my coworker Anita (and subsequently got deported back to China today) everything was perfect. It was a more than satisfactory Christmas Dinner and I was smiling throughout most of it.

We moved from the Brazilian place to a brewery up the road that has the most delicious beer in Korea. The beers are a little on the pricey side, but I believe the cost is warranted. Most beer in this country tastes like piss, but this place does beer the right way and it was nice to have a few good beers on Christmas Eve. Here's a lovely picture from the bar of Ben, Andrew and myself...



Today was a little less eventful. I woke up late and made myself an enormous breakfast, with a bagel, omelet and bacon - all accompanied by a cup of Starbuck's coffee infused with a shot of espresso. As I enjoyed breakfast I found "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" on the Armed Forces Network and felt like a kid again watching a movie where I was rooting for the toys that nobody could love as I ate my brunch.

When brunch was done, I hit the road with my iPod. Christmas is not really Christmas in Korea. All of the shops are open and the streets are full of people. I had the day off work and the sun was shining bright, so I walked around the neighborhood for a couple hours and enjoyed some of the nicest weather I have ever encountered in December 25th.

I ended up back home and decided that if I didn't have "real" friends I would celebrate Christmas with some other friends. I had a couple glasses of Maker's Mark whiskey brought in from Japan and I watched one of my favorite movies of all time - "Rushmore." They were a poor replacement for friends and family, but I gotta say they were some fun amigos to be with. I haven't seen "Rushmore" in about seven years and I had forgotten what a brilliant movie it was and Maker's is always delicious.

I work in about nine hours, so I think I'm about to hit the hay, but I hope everybody had a Merry Christmas.

I am now hanging out in Korea with well less than two months until I leave and I feel like my departure is just around the corner. I can't wait to be with all of you...

Much love from Seoul

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home