Sunday, January 20, 2008

Tani

It was my birthday on Thursday. I couldn't do much celebrating on my actual birthday because I had to work from 9am to 10pm, but I think I made up for it this weekend.

Last night a crew and myself headed to a local wine bar and had a pleasant dinner and some wine. Then we moved to my favorite place to drink in Seoul, a little brewery on the other side of town. As always, the beer was delicious and I had a fun time.

Tonight was what I was really looking forward to though. I had a reservation for one at a restaurant in Apkujong, the so-called "Beverly Hills of Seoul," at a place called Tani Nomadic Bistro. I walked past the Louis Vuitton and Dolce & Gabbana stores, narrowly avoided being hit by a Lexus (don't see many of those over here,) and made a turn at a corner that had a Korean lingerie store with valet parking. It was quite clear that I was no longer in my neighborhood.

My boss had printed off directions for me and also made the reservations for me. When he made the reservation he told the maitre d' that I was a really important client of his and that it was very important to him that I be treated with the utmost respect. I had a great table and they did treat me great. I was sat in a corner table next to a window overlooking a vacant patio and a sea of bamboo.

I had been wanting to visit this restaurant ever since my first month here. Before I left my place I lined up a two-hour playlist on the iPod. Then I went to a bookstore and bought an international Time, Newsweek and an American Art magazine. I found myself at numerous points in the meal, gazing out the window and smiling with contentment - I live a pretty charmed life.

I ordered their seven-course set menu - that was pretty much the reason that I went. They consider themselves a Japanese fusion restaurant and I was blown away with my meal. My waiter didn't speak much English, so there were a few elements in a few dishes that I asked about and he didn't know how to translate for me, but here's the play-by-play as good as I can recreate it:

1. Raw Halibut wrapped in Sesame Leaves
My first dish had three little bamboo skewers, each holding together a small sesame leaf roll. Inside the rolls were red onions, green onion and halibut, rolled up and placed on the plate and then drizzled with a red spicy sauce. The flavors of the onions, the sesame leaf and the sauce masked the true flavors of the halibut, but the combonation of those flavors was pretty stellar.

2. Fried Soft-Shell Crab Salad
Other than my main course, this was my favorite. The soft-shell crab was fried a perfect golden brown in a salty batter that was just right. Mixed greens, a couple thin parmesean chips, two sweet potato wedges, one green bean and a cucumber wedge were placed next to the crab and everything was covered in a creamy dressing. At this point in the meal, I was only two dishes in and I was already incredibly impressed.

3. Chinese Pork Ribs
I'm from Kansas City and I would say I have eaten some good ribs in my day. These were not good ribs. Two babyback ribs were set in an X shape on my plate, braised with a sweet, unimpressive sauce and covered with red onions and flanked by a couple cherry tomato quarters. The ribs were dry and overcooked. I would have been unhappy with these ribs at Applebee's, so I was a little disappointed to encounter them at Tani, but this was my only issue with the whole meal.

4. Tomato Soup
This tomato soup was pretty standard, but it was delicious. Containing every vegetable from the garden and a few chunks of bacon, the soup warmed my insides and helped me to forget about the ribs. I say it was standard, but not a standard soup on a menu in Korea.



5. Grilled Lobster Tail, Scallop and Vegetables
This was unreal. When I took the first bite, I actually moaned - that's how good it was. The buttery cream sauce it was served with was absolutely exquisite. The grilled vegetables were all perfect. I honestly don't think I can do this dish justice with only words. This is by far the best thing I have eaten in Korea.

6. Sushi
Good sushi. It was nothing that really blew me away, but it was more than acceptable. When they brought me the sushi I decided it was time to order a Sapporo to go with it - my mouth tasted like Japan. It was good, but after the lobster tail I don't think that anything could impress me.



7. Cheesecake and Fruit
The dessert was tasty. I thought it was one of the better presented dishes and with a cup of coffee it was the perfect end to my dinner.

I've got four more days of hell at work and then I go back to my regular schedule for a few weeks before I head out. My time here is coming to an end and hopefully I can find a way to fit in a few more experiences like this.

Much love from Seoul

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home